Pittsburgh’s aging homes makes purchasing a move-in-ready home difficult, especially for those with limited savings to do up-front repairs. Most lenders see this as an obstacle. We see this as an opportunity – for you to build the home of your dreams.
The Community Acquisition and Rehabilitation Loan (CARL), for prospective homebuyers, is a 30-year fixed rate home mortgage that can be used for the purchase AND repair of a home. Currently, CARL loans are only available in certain census tracts within the city of Pittsburgh.
Homebuyers in the City of Pittsburgh often struggle to find affordable, move-in-ready homes. Pittsburgh’s older housing stock often makes finding a home difficult for those who cannot afford out-of-pocket up-front repairs for things like lead remediation, furnaces, and insulation. CARL solves this issue by factoring in the entirety of the purchase and repair cost into a single 30-year fixed-rate mortgage.
CGF understands that purchasing and rehabbing a home can be intimidating – but don’t worry! In partnership with the Urban Redevelopment Authority of Pittsburgh (URA), we provide the expertise and technical assistance to help guide you through the home buying process.
What we offer
- Loans up to $300,000 for the purchase and repair of a home
- A 5% down payment, that can be paid by 3rd party support
- No mortgage insurance requirement
- Technical assistance throughout the home buying process
Who is eligible?
- Anyone with credit scores of 620 or above may apply
- Debt-to-Income ratio: 31/43
- Counseling for first time homebuyers and buyers with credit scores below 700 are required by a HUD-approved agency
- Homes must be in specific Allegheny County census tracts
What can CARL be used for?
- The purchase AND repair of a home.
- Structural/Legacy issues such as lead, HVAC, insulation, plumbing systems, etc.
- Cosmetic improvements, such as renovations of kitchens, bedrooms, living rooms, decks, etc.